Skip to main content

Lavender fields & Model Mama

About a month ago, before I was to leave for my trip to China, I had a mini-vacation with my family in Prince Edward Country, which is about an hour west of Kingston.  We planned to visit the aromatic lavender fields, but ran into a sailing team practice on the way, so of course we had to pull over and take photos.

mom & dad just chilling
boats boats boats
this one's getting framed and going on top of the piano :)
The weather was pretty great, not too hot, but the sky could’ve been more blue and less grey.  We actually missed the prime week for lavender, which was the week before, but it was still very nice and less of a crowd (which I prefer).



DIY filtering
Lavender was definitely tricky to photograph, and I wasn't as prepared as I thought for how low it was and how much squatting was required.  There was no shade which resulted in me trying some lame DIY filtering by putting my sunglasses in front of my lens and ended up with this funky effect.  Maybe I should just print it out as an actual photo and pretend it's vintage :P

Considering we spent maybe 20-30 minutes tops at the fields, we decided that instead of taking the highway back to Kingston, we would visit the small towns along the water.  First stop was this vineyard that we passed on the way to the lavender fields.

Mama was feeling especially model-y this weekend, perhaps confidence from her new outfit or the effects of the post I dedicated to her, either way, she was more than happy to pose for my camera.

outside the vineyard

inside the vineyard

beautiful glasses that I had to photograph


gotta get dad in some of these too
There was this cute little barn type thing adjacent to the vineyard, it was kind of worn down but still made for a good backdrop for some shots.



album cover?
It was a very "go with the flow and see what happens" type of trip where we made frequent stops whenever the scenery struck us (me & my Canon). This one was a little dangerous as we were pulled over on the side of Country Road 2 (or 1?) with cars zooming past us at 100km/hr.  But hey, the shot's worth it, right?

As we headed back to Kingston for dinner, I saw these poor huskies looking miserable in the heat.  It breaks my heart to see such beautiful creatures so unhappy.  Hope all pet owners remember to keep their dogs well hydrated!


view of Kingston city hall from my patio seat
a pair of pretty cool street performers
After a dinner and a (street) show, we were finally home! It was a nice and relaxing way to spend some family time as opposed to visiting a major metropolis.  The small towns definitely have a certain charm to them!  Hope to try it again some time ;)

Comments