Skip to main content

Sad Sunflowers & Mr Krabby Pants

For most things in life, timing plays a huge part in whether it works out or not. Shooting is no different, and this is especially true for outdoor shooting, where it can be sunny one second and overcast the next. And this is especially especially true for shooting with flowers that only bloom for like, what, a week? Miss that window of opportunity and you get what you see here:



Yep, those are some sad looking sunflowers. Honestly, I think I only missed the mark by *this* much. Check out last year's sunflower photos - gorgeous and in bloom and only a week earlier. I think I was just desperate since I missed the lavender bloom back in July, thought I could catch the tail-end of the sunflowers. Oh well, I'll just have to try again next year.

At least I get to shoot my new dress! Check out the fullness of the skirt on this little polka dot number.

Dress from vintage H&M
Sandals from Lucky Brand


Pork pie hat from Urban Outfitters
Pearls from Byward boutique

And the buttons down the back! *swoon*



Through my thrift shopping adventures, I noticed that mainstream retailers have really cut corners over the years.  It becomes extremely apparent when you find vintage pieces from stores like H&M or Forever21. The older items are of noticeably higher quality, which makes sense when you think about it -- it must be better quality to have lasted this long. Here's where I suddenly age 50 years and start grumbling, "they don't make things like they used to..."

Our sad shoot was interrupted by Nick's exclamation of "baby bunny!" It was just out in the open, on the grass. But look how tiny it is -- how did he even see it??




I am now convinced that I'm dating a Disney princess.
...so does that make me Prince Charming? :P

But even Disney princesses can get grumpy sometimes. In addition to missing opportune shooting times, another thing that upsets both Nick and me is bad food and poor service at eating establishments. We recently experienced both and it was right before I wanted to shoot Nick's new threads, so we ended up with all these serious, manly brooding photos that look like he's all dramatic and whatnot.

Pork pie hat from Urban Outfitters (same one!)
Pineapple tee from Zara
Sunglasses from Old Navy

Crab shorts from Brooks Brothers (thrifted)
Boat shoes from Cole Haan

Pondering deep philosophical questions that keep him up at night?

Nope, just grumpy that we overpaid for an underwhelming meal and were neglected by a waitress who couldn't answer any questions about anything on the menu *sigh*

Watch from some Facebook ad

Friendly PSA on the watch pictured above: there was a "Free watches, just pay shipping!" Facebook ad and Nick placed an order -- please do not make the same mistake! They look fine in photos and that's why they are okay as photoshoot props but honestly fall so short of being a decent watch. I love [all] my [many] watches and cannot emphasize fervently enough that you stay far far away from these "free watch" scams.

On a more positive note, I actually really like this outfit on Nick! It gives me some serious island vibes with the fruit top and crustacean bottoms. Topped off with my pork pie hat (which is a men's hat so it's fine that he's borrowing it hehe), he reminds me of Jason Mraz :P

Another friendly tip, when looking for sizes at vintage or thrift stores: not only does sizing vary from brand to brand, but standards for sizing has also changed a lot over the years. Nick's crab shorts are labeled as a 32 and he almost didn't try them on since he usually wears 29 or 30. My dress is labeled size 4 and I'm a 00 in most mainstream brands (although H&M also tends to run smaller than most North American sizes). So don't limit yourself to only looking in your regular size section! My vintage NYE gown Nick found for me is labeled as a size 8!

Hope you enjoyed these photos! Thanks for reading :)

Comments