Skip to main content

Hot Chocolate & Holiday Casual



Happy happy holidays and happy winter solstice! It's last day in the office for me as we'll be driving home to Toronto for the holidays so I'm very excited. Lots of folks were complaining about the shortest day of the year but to me, it means that it's all uphill from here :) It'll be summer again before we know it!

There's still a lot I have to do before we drive off into the sunset, including packing up the kitties for the trip and getting the apartment in decent shape so we don't come back and start the new year in a messy place. Plus, I wanted to get this post out before I leave as well so I can take my holiday photos when I'm home without worrying about getting these done.

For the product shoot, it's a pretty simple concept but I really wanted to feature my favourite mugs. I love the shape and the cute blue dots, and they're handmade in Poland! 





Both mugs and these flower props were also found at the thrift store! I really lucked out finding these bunches in a $2 bag of miscellaneous holiday things. They're a good mix of red and gold, flowers and acorns and leaves. There were also little snowmen ornaments in the bag which I will be bringing back to Toronto to decorate my tree.

If there's one thing I regret, it was not buying giant marshmallows for the hot chocolate. You can see in the second photo there were some small ones that came with the chocolate but they disappeared too quickly :( I also only just had barely enough milk for the mugs as well. If there's anything I learned from this shoot and the Sapporo one, it's always prepare more food supplies than you think you need!

With the holiday season in full swing, the office dress code has become more relaxed, but I still wanted to be careful not to over-load on the holiday apparel. Below, I've shared two outfits for how I would bring holiday vibes to my office parties.


Outfit 1: Knit top from Express, Blazer from H&M, Trousers from Massimo Dutti, Pumps from Marciano, Necklace from Banana Republic, Vintage glasses (thrifted)
Outfit 2: Striped top from Dynamite, Windowpane mesh skirt from Forever21, Vintage brooch, Valentino Rockstud heels

Outfit 1: The Office Potluck

I had my office potluck lunch early this week, and have been getting all these food photos from my friends of dishes they made for their office potluck too! It's definitely potluck week, yum yum :)



This little sweater and oldie but a goodie because of how soft it is and the white dots remind me of snow. I also appreciate how some colourful spring-time items can make an appearance in the middle of winter -- like these red pants! Keeping the focus by pairing warm neutrals, topped off with some white pearly flowers and there you have it, a perfectly seasonal red outfit (without looking like Santa).

Outfit 2: The Dinner Party

I love how there are all sorts of different levels of occasions to dress up for around the holidays. And maybe it's the Canadian in me but I noticed I'm more of a red-and-white than a red-and-green kind of girl.


This top and skirt combo is one of my go-to medium dressy outfits. I normally wear a big statement bib necklace but wanted to keep the focus on my red shoes for this pairing. I have a handful of vintage brooches I've picked up from flea markets and thrift shops but struggled to wear them in a youthful way. This bird one caught my eye immediately and I'm rather pleased with how it looks on this top.

With the more recent posts, I've been trying to up my game on a couple things. These last two have used actual lighting, something I've been meaning to step up for a while now! Additionally, I've been trying to work on developing my makeup skills. I think I'm making some progress, but my hair game is still super weaksauce... will aim to tackle that next.

I hope you enjoyed the photos! I can't believe this is the last post of my lifestyle project!! I think it's gone pretty well but I can't get my head around the fact that in less than 2 weeks it'll be 2019 and I'll be starting my new project (eek!) but I know that I'll continue food and lifestyle photography.

Happy holidays!

Comments