Skip to main content

TBT: Philosophical Shopping in Art Museums

Kind of a sequel to my previous post, today's post has more photos featuring the creative decor of certain stores, Club Monaco being one of the previously mentioned ones.  The "bird" and "tree" are actually not from Club Monaco, but from Call It Spring, reason being that I wanted to save the Club Monaco photos for today's post.  I wanted to use these photos for a Philosophies - Part 2, two thousand words of wisdom captured in the photos below:

Mirrors on the wall

Cages and wings

If a picture = 1 thousand words, 2 pictures = 2 thousand yes?  Math seems to check out.


Both of these photos were taken at (different) Club Monaco stores, but the first one was taken with my DSLR (fun fact: you can see Anita reflected in one of the mirrors!) whereas the second was taken with my cell phone (HTC One).  If you haven't figured out the philosophy yet, it's that the photographer makes the photo -- not the camera.

I occasionally forget this lesson too; it's so easily to let yourself give up because you "don't have the right equipment".  It's also a reason why I previously hesitated to include the 2nd photo on my blog (I took that photo in November of last year, before I started casually toting my camera around).  But then this photo (pictured below) that I recently dug out reminded me not to miss out on an opportunity just because you don't have a camera on hand.

Throwback to July 2010 in Shanghai
Taken with an LG Lollipop (it's a flip phone)

And sure, having a fancy, expensive camera helps in terms of photo quality, but I'm sure we've all seen bad photos come out of a good camera as well.  All you really need is a vision and the dedication to see it through.  Especially considering the advancements made in cell phone camera technology, instead of money, try investing your time and your passion, and you'll see the results (photo by my lovely and talented friend Eliza and her Nexus5).

Looking at my cell phone photos, it doesn't feel as out of place as I had thought.  I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in photography to just snap up whatever looks nice with whatever you have on hand, and then take the time to carefully review the photos after.  I find that this process really helps to developing an eye for framing (very very important) and also so you don't regret missing the moment afterwards.

The rest of these photos are from my most recent trip to the mall, but to me, they feel more like photos you would take at a museum; hence, the title of today's post.  Ranging from simple bottles to huge window displays, each set is a remarkably unique work of art.

Simplistic bottles @ Club Monaco

Anthropologie in NYC

Stunning window display @ Louis Vuitton!

I like this bird @ Harry Rosen

Until I can think of a better solution, these photos will be under the Objects and Trinkets tab in the navigation bar.  Thanks for reading!

Comments